LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Saying the case demands more investigation, Commonwealth’s Attorney Tom Wine announced Friday his office will move to dismiss all charges against Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend after he fired a gun in her apartment and seriously wounded a police sergeant.
Kenneth Walker, 27, was charged with attempted murder and assault in the March 13 incident in which plain-clothes officers fatally shot Taylor while executing a “no-knock” search warrant at her apartment.
“I believe that additional investigation is necessary,” Wine said.
But Wine said Walker’s case could be presented to a grand jury a second time, depending on the results of investigations by the FBI and Kentucky Attorney General’s Office.
The prosecutor also delivered a strong defense of the police who executed the search warrant of Taylor’s home, saying evidence clearly shows that police knocked on her door multiple times before using a battering ram to get in.
Still, Walker’s attorney, Rob Eggert, said he was “thrilled” by the dismissal.
Minute by minute: What happened the night Louisville police fatally shot Breonna Taylor
“Theoretically, they can bring it back,” he said, “but now he is freed from home incarceration and can go on with his life.”
Walker had previously been released from jail in March and placed on home incarceration.
Attorneys for Taylor’s family, Ben Crump, Sam Aguiar and Lonita Baker, said in a statement that the charges never should have been filed.
“This is a belated victory for justice and a powerful testament to the power of advocacy,” they said. “Kenneth Walker and Breonna Taylor did everything right the night police ambushed their home.”